Protect traditional built Heritage Skills
According to the climate change and energy policy of the EU, each member state needed to identify and develop a series of energy efficient goals and regulations, of which buildings are a key element, in order to reach the set goals. However, Europe has numerous historic buildings, which need permanent maintenance and refurbishment in order to fulfil the requirements of sustainability and use.
When responsible bodies do spend money anyway, it seems logical and ecologically worthwhile to apply “soft” maintenance procedures, which save costs and also reduce energy consumption of historic buildings. Integrating these buildings into national climate change and energy policies seems therefore quite necessary and a challenge, as far as appropriate techniques and procedures are concerned, which can only be met through excellently trained craftsmen and apprentices of the crafts concerned.
PRO-Heritage partners aim to offer initial and permanent education for professionals and craftsmen providing traditional competences and skills for built heritage, based on Best Practice of partner organisations. Additionally, PRO-Heritage is going to establish a structure and environment for regular journeyman's travel in Europe, in order to further support the exchange of competences and skills across Europe.
Major needs addressed in PRO-Heritage are:
• to protect traditional competences and skills for built Cultural Heritage relevant for energy efficiency and renewable energy
• the need to involve adequately educated and trained professionals and craftsmen in “soft” conservation, maintenance and ongoing care
• the need to certify those professionals and craftsmen in order to give them recognition of their competences and skills
Achieving better energy performance in historic buildings is a WIN-WIN situation for all – owners facing less energy costs, residents enjoying modern comfort at reasonable prices and society reducing energy consumption and CO2 emission.
- Burghauptmannschaft Oesterreich
- English Heritage Trust
- National Trust of Slovakia
- Secretaria Geral da Presidência da República Portuguesa
- UBW Unternehmensberatung Wagenhofer GmbH
- Asociación Española de Gestores de Patrimonio Cultural
- European Certification and Qualification Association GmbH
- I.S.C.N. GesmbH
You can find more about the partners here.
Find more information about PRO-Heritage here.
Co-financed by the European Community Horizon 2020 programme